HUME & HOVELL
During their epic adventure reached the junction of the Goulburn River & the Dabyminga Creek on 23rd December 1824.
In those days the Goulburn was known as the Hovell and the Dabyminga as Reedy Creek. Hume’s mare was bitten by a snake so they decided to camp for a few days at the foot of a hill now known as Camp Hill, allowing time for the horse to recover.
Hume’s edited account runs as follows: “From the top of the hill we obtained a fine view of the river flowing from the north east through a gap in the mountain range distant about eight to ten miles where after a considerable curve to the west it eventually turned north
west in which direction it was visible at a great distance” .
Hume & Hovell observed Christmas Day at their camp “to avail themselves of the fine fish which abounded in the river”.
On Boxing Day, Hume’s mare had now recovered from the snake bite and they crossed the river at a ford slightly to the north of the junction of the Goulburn and Dabyminga Rivers.
It was this journey, which opened up Victoria and inspired explorers such as Hawdon, Gardiner and Hepburn (who became known as the ‘Overlanders’) to travel to the region. They reached the area in 1836. Hawdon was so impressed with the area that he took up 27,520 acres which was known as ‘Tallarook Run’.
Hawdon thus became the first colonist in the area.