Tallarook Timeline



The Great Tallarook History Project - http://www.tallarookhistoryproject.website/chapter-1/


The original Township was surveyed on the South Side of the Goulburn River and called ‘Dabyminga’.  But this site never took off and the Township grew within the territory of the ‘Tallarook Run’ Station.  The name of Tallarook was adopted for this town as it rolled off the tongue with greater ease than Dabyminga!



1100 Acres reserved for the Township of Tallarook as noted on Plan No 133 – ‘Country Allotments of Seymour, Tallarook & Lowry’. The town developed as a changing post for Coach Horses (at the site of the current pool) as it was a convenient site between Broadford & Seymour. 



A General Store, Blacksmiths, some Huts & a Hotel were in operation.



Railway Station opened



New Station Built with refreshment rooms & a bar



Second Platform built at Railway station.


Tallarook Mechanics Institute Hall building completed.



The present Brick Station was built after the previous was destroyed by fire.


Late 1880’s          

Tallarook was at its busiest. Tallarook boasted two Hotels, two Saw Mills, two General Store’s (one housed the Register of Births, Deaths & Marriages), Butcher, Baker, Boot maker, Police Station, Photographer, Jeweller, ‘Tallarook Cordial’ Manufacturer


© 2021 Tallarook Mechanics Institute Committee of Management Inc

Designed by

by Out on a Lim

...that's where the fruit is!

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now