The original Township was surveyed on the South Side of the Goulburn River and called ‘Dabyminga’. But this site never took off and the Township grew within the territory of the ‘Tallarook Run’ Station. The name of Tallarook was adopted for this town as it rolled off the tongue with greater ease than Dabyminga!
1100 Acres reserved for the Township of Tallarook as noted on Plan No 133 – ‘Country Allotments of Seymour, Tallarook & Lowry’. The town developed as a changing post for Coach Horses (at the site of the current pool) as it was a convenient site between Broadford & Seymour.
A General Store, Blacksmiths, some Huts & a Hotel were in operation.
Railway Station opened
New Station Built with refreshment rooms & a bar
Second Platform built at Railway station.
Tallarook Mechanics Institute Hall building completed.
The present Brick Station was built after the previous was destroyed by fire.
Tallarook was at its busiest. Tallarook boasted two Hotels, two Saw Mills, two General Store’s (one housed the Register of Births, Deaths & Marriages), Butcher, Baker, Boot maker, Police Station, Photographer, Jeweller, ‘Tallarook Cordial’ Manufacturer